The most common investment scams may include profitable investment opportunities such as shares, bonds, cryptocurrencies, rare metals, property investments abroad or alternative energy.
- You repeatedly receive unusual phone calls.
- You are promised quick returns and are assured that the investment is safe.
- The offer is only available for a limited time.
- The offer is available only to you and you are asked not to share information about it.
What to do
- Always seek impartial financial advice before handing over money or making an online investment.
- Don’t give consideration to phone calls promising investment opportunities.
- Be wary of offers that promise safe investments, guaranteed returns and great profits.
- Be careful of future scams. If you have already invested in an online scam, it’s likely that scammers will try to hit you again, or sell your information to other criminals.
- Contact the police if you are suspicious.